Saturday 23 November 2013

New Beginnings

During the last week I have completed my library industry placement, finished my final assessments and completed my TAFE course. The feeling of elation that came over me when I realised that it was all finished was incredible and closely followed by a feeling of driven motivation and focus on the next step: getting a job.

Getting a job in the library industry is proving to be an interesting process considering the range of different methods by which to gain employment or information about potential employment. SEEK is, of course, a service that can be used to access work opportunities across all areas, but in the case of library work, SEEK will generally just link you back to the council responsible for the position. Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) has a selection of job listings but the selection is generally quite limited and often more of the positions advertised there are for Librarian level jobs, and not so much Library Technicians. Another option is the Zenith Management service, which lines up qualified job-seekers with potential library and information industry job opportunities. They have a few positions advertised at the moment so fingers crossed on that!

But when it comes down to it, most library jobs (at least those in public council libraries) are accessed through the individual council pages to which they belong, so sometimes it can take a bit of searching and networking to locate the little gems that don't make it to the big job listing sites.

As I set off on this journey to employment I shall keep you updated and hopefully, before too long, I will be blogging about my great new job.

Penny ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment